My husband and I just returned from a trip to Las Vegas. I try to follow a dairy-free, gluten-free diet. I also don’t eat red meat and limit sugar, oils, and GMO ingredients! What a challenge to find restaurants that I can eat out at, especially on vacation. Here are a few tips if you find yourself in this situation.
1. Research before you go. The internet was my friend! I did a google search for “healthy restaurants in Las Vegas” and went from there. Most restaurants have their menus online, so I had several restaurants listed before we set foot in Vegas! I tried to find restaurants that offered salads with plenty of veggies and lean protein.
2. Inform your server about any allergies. The server will help you navigate the menu and let you know about possible sources of particular allergens and possible substitutions.
3. Speak to the chef. If the server doesn’t have the information you are looking for, don’t be afraid to ask to speak to the chef about how your food will be prepared. Most restaurants will be happy to work with you and even make something off the menu to accommodate your needs.
4. Limit the number of meals you eat out. We decided to eat breakfast and dinner and skip lunch on vacation. You could even skip going out for breakfast and pack your own snacks from home.
5. Know how you will indulge. It is vacation, after all. I knew I would not compromise on being dairy and gluten free, so most desserts were out of the question. I did enjoy a margarita with fresh juices, though. Perhaps you are able to splurge just a little and enjoy some dessert. Decide exactly how many times you are planning on indulging to keep things in check.